wood

Monday, December 13, 2010

Paying Attention

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

It is true that children are always paying attention to what the adults around them are saying and doing, but even as a preschool teacher I forget how much my students are watching. The other night I was at my friend's house and her daughter is in my 3-4 year old classroom. While I was visiting with my friend, her daughter asked us to play "school" with her. She was the teacher and my friend and I were the students. Everything thing she did from circle time to trying to get her students to "quiet down" was modeled after things I say and actions that I make. It actually brought tears to my eyes. On one hand I didn't realize how bossy I really do sound, but on the other hand it helped me remember what a responsibility we have as adults to lead our children. They want to be shown how to act. The question is, are we up to allowing them to follow our example?

No comments:

Post a Comment