My internship in college was with East-Central CASA in Brookings, SD. The cool experience I was exposed to was getting to work not only with several counties and their courts, but also the Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe. CASA was my first exposure to child welfare and it helped mold the passion that I still hold in my heart for abused and neglected children.
When I started working at the YMCA preschool/daycare I knew that I was missing something in my life...my child welfare fix. I contacted Becky from Kendall County CASA and told her about my child welfare background and before I was sworn in I had a case. I love being a CASA. It has been 2 1/2 years of volunteering my time and heart to those who really need it...children.
Then the opportunity came up for me to work as a case manager for CASA. I feel as though all of my expericences have helped shape me into the person I need to be to be successful in this position. When I was at the preschool I liked going to work, enjoyed my co-workers, adored my preschoolers, but at the end of the day it was a job. Now I get to go to a place that pays me for using the gifts God has given me, a place where my passion is what I live everyday. I am so incredibly blessed.
"I looked around at all the children suffering in the world. I saw the abuse, neglect, and pain.
I looked up to heaven and asked Why?
Why don't you do something to help these children? "
Then a reply came back. "I did do something, I created you."
No comments:
Post a Comment