I love birthdays! A lot of people dislike the thought of grower a year older, but I am not one of them. I think birthdays are a reminder that we have been blessed with another year of life. Now if I ask my mother about my birthday she will remind me that she had no time to be given any kind of pain killers because I was in a hurry to be born and the nurse that was tending to my mother was a rare breed of evil. Through it all on July 11th, 1983 at 11:59 pm (that's not a mistake, I was almost a 12th baby) I was here.
Now, when a child has a birthday he/she is usually excited for presents. They have probably been giving hints to what they want and hope that mom and dad were listening. So when does it change, when do you go from wanting presents to wanting people present?
As Reid and I were on the train traveling down to Chicago this past Saturday (my b-day) I was thinking about spending time with people vs. buying them a gift. The last few years I have been trying to buy gifts for people that involve spending time with them vs. tearing wrapping paper off of a boxed present.
This past 4th of July weekend, Reid and I took my dad to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs take on the Brewers. Now the seats weren't the greatest, but my dad didn't seem to mind. To think of it, I am not so sure how well he could even see the field with how is eye sight is, but I suppose the atmosphere of that place is felt more then anything. It was a great night. The Cubbies won and my dad got to hear the crowd sing "Go Cubs Go, Go Cubs Go! Hey, Chicago what do ya say, the Cubs are gonna win today!" Now whether you are a Cubs fan or even a defeated Brewers fan, it is something to hear when the stadium sings that song over and over again :) You can't box something like that up and wrap it.
So I guess my thought for this year is to try and continue the presence over present mentality. Give people time
No comments:
Post a Comment