wood

Monday, January 6, 2014

Starbucks Theory

I have a theory when it comes to the economy, it is call the Starbucks Theory. 

Although I am not a big coffee drinker I still have made my way into Starbucks for a cup of iced caramel whipped cream with sprinkles amazing goodness (might not be the technical name).  A drink like that runs around $5 or so.  Like I said, I am not a "once a day" Starbucks customer, but I know people that are.  I guess to make a long paragraph short...drinking "The Bucks" daily is not cheap, but consumers are willing to pay it.

When I moved to Kendall County Illinois in 2008 there was not much as far as shopping went.  Then came Target and a Kohls with a strip mall attached.  When I was volunteering one weekend I met some people who had the inside knowledge of what businesses were going to come to this area.  There were names like Jcpenny, Barnes and Noble, Bath and Body Works, Chilis and Buffalo Wild Wings.  Kendall County was welcoming business with open arms. 

Then as we all know the economy took a Thelma and Louis nose dive off the cliff with no air bags.  All of the businesses that had not yet made their presence known in this area pulled up steak.

Fast forward to Fall 2013 and in one of the strip mall business windows hung a banner letting everyone know that a Starbucks was coming soon!

My theory is this, if people are willing to pay $5 a day for a coffee drink then the economy has to be getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment