My sister and I were walking around the Dubuque, IA mall looking for my mother and we decided to go down by the Dubuque Humane Society (not to find my mom, but to see the dogs)which has a location at the mall. The dog in the front window was a little dalmation puppy. He was wagging his tail and very happy to see people stop by the window. I could see his ribs and it broke my heart. It reminded me of when we first brought Maggie home and she was skin and bones (not the case anymore!).
When we walked further into the store we saw more dogs and all with the same look...ribs and hip bones in full view. If anyone asks me about wanting to get a dog my first response is always to look at the shelters. The easiest thing to do is go to www.adoptapet.com and search the shelters in your area. It is so heartbreaking for me to think that Maggie was rescued from a shelter that keeps dogs for 72 hours before killing them. Now I know that Maggie is not my child even though I may treat her as such, but if we treated all living things as though they were family this world would be the place it was created to be.
No comments:
Post a Comment